Compare your culinary knowledge:
This level requires the participant to prove that they have the culinary knowledge equal to a standard that would be expected from a person who is attending, or has just successfully completed a culinary training course. Have between 1 and 4 years full time experience in a typical commercial kitchen with traditional European cuisine and may also be alternatively describe as:
- Apprentice cook/chef
- Assistant cook/chef
- Culinary trainee
- Short order cook/chef
There is no minimum work experience or tenure required to enter any level, simply because people learn at different speeds while being exposed to a variety of experiences and various opportunities.
Many are employed with chefs who have greater levels of expertise and commitment to teach their staff and everyone has a different level of competence and motivation.
The minimum score required in this test to be awarded a Salonculinaire Commis de Cuisine Certificate with the title: Chef (SCA) is 60%
- Analyses the applicant’s fundamental culinary knowledge.
- Comprises 80 basic culinary questions to be completed in 25 minutes.
- 60% correct is required to advance to Chef de Partie level.
- To enter the “Commis Chef Analysis” a unique password is required.
- Result will be recorded on the website.
- One attempt is permitted each year.
- Only continue when not disturbed for the whole time of the analysis.
- During the introductory period, entry to all assessments is free.
- A nominal charge will be introduced in 2013 .